Friday 2 April 2010

Leadership Pathways: Final Thoughts

The final day of Leadership Pathways was my favourite, and when I finally began to realise the message of 'reflection' that the course has tried to foster throughout.


I have never felt like much of a reflective practitioner. Being reflective requires time and time is something I haven't got enough of. But by the end of the LP course, I was becoming more and more reflective and continuing to do this after the course is over is something I am looking forward to. I need to make time to be reflective. I guess this blog is becoming the perfect place to do that! (Actually, looking back, I have used the blog less and less as an outlet to report news affecting Year Six, but more as a place to reflect on and to share my school-based experiences.)


Core Day 3 of the programme is subtitled 'celebrating success'. It was the day to share learning with each other and our coaches. We were asked to share a presentation about our 'whole-school change project' that we had been working on. I had been worried about this, but some good advice from @deputymitchell, @dawnhallybone and @primarypete_ on Twitter calmed me down. As a result of their advice, I decided not to use any ICT in my presentation. This was definitely the right decision. It was actually great to be free of the constraints of a PowerPoint presentation. I did, however, use PowerPoint to prepare and structure what I wanted to say.



A lot of this, I understand, won't make sense without some context. So this is what my project was all about:
Through the process of taking the online units, I realised that the school is good at informing, collaborating with and involving the community in its work. We weren't, however, as good at consulting and empowering the community. I decided to set up a questionnaire to learn more about the community and their thoughts about our school. At the moment we are part way through this process. The surveys have been distributed and returned and the analysis process is underway right now. The project is enabling me to gain experience in using data, using influencing strategies and work with the community.

Overall, I believe that I have developed as a leader through the Pathways course and I am looking forward to seeing my learning have an impact throughout my work in school.

4 comments:

Katie Kavanagh said...

Brilliant advice; I'm just panicking over mine and was worrying about how much time I have left to put something flashy together (due to present on Thursday...it's now Saturday). Panic over, def. going to freestyle it now with just some notes. THANK YOU!!

Carrie Ann said...

Just wanted to know I appreciate the info. I have done a blog and no-one seems to leave any feedback!
My presentation is in October so I have a bit of time and an idea whichI am going to let 'stew' for a bit as I'm not quite sure about it yet!

James B said...

Hi,
This blog has moved. It's now at www.primarydeputy.blogspot.com!
James

Rose said...

I,m in the process of putting my presentation together for mid September and wasn't quite sure on the best way to go about. Many THANKS for your feedback as this has been helpful and feel less stressed.