Tuesday 13 March 2007

Complusory langauges at seven

Proposals by Lord Dearing suggest that foreign languages should be taught at age seven. He also suggests that languages should be a compulsory subject alongside Maths and English.

Isn't it incredible that the Government are talking like they have only just discovered foreign languages! It's about time that we all woke up to the fact that the majority of us are ignorant when it comes to foreign languages!

Whilst it is many years overdue, this is a fantastic suggestion by the Government and I support it fully. I think schools should be allowed to choose which language to teach, and it should be a compulsory subject.

1 comment:

hesitant scribe said...

I started my school days in Canada where we were taught in English, but had lots of French thrown in too - posters and displays were in both languages for example. I was shocked to discover that in English school I wouldn't be doing French anymore, until I reached secondary school.

I agree with you, that foreign languages should be taught, although I'm not sure which ones!

I teach at university level and am finding an increasing lack of ability and understanding of basic grammar and punctuation. Having trained in Primary I know we cover grammar and punctuation in school but it just doesn't seem to be coming through to us yet in HE. I have had students, and not isolated cases either, who do not realise that 'am' and 'was' are part of the verb 'to be'.

Perhaps teaching the grammar of foreign languages might help children early on, to get a handle on the grammar of English too?! I live in hope!