Saturday 24 March 2007

Leading Teacher Twilights

I am one of a group of Leading Teachers in the Cheshire LEA. I was recommended by our school adviser at the end of my second year of teaching.

This Thursday I had to deliver a twilight course to teachers about the new teaching sequence in Maths. I have really worried about this. I was not looking forward to it at all. We took the decision not to introduce the new framework until after we have amalgamated in September. I felt like I was stood there talking about something I should have known a lot about, when in fact I knew quite little. In the end all my worrying was unnecessary as people seemed very positive about what I'd said. I wanted to ensure that people left with lots of practical ideas to try in school, and I think I achieved this.

However, I plan to take a year out of being a leading teacher. These are the reasons why:

  1. I hate the title Leading Teacher. It makes us sound like we are better than others - but who is to say this is the case? No one actually comes to check that we are still 'leading' teachers!
  2. I don't feel like I gain anything out of it. It's nice to be part of the group. It should look quite nice on my CV. It's good to get an occasional 'heads up' about new initiatives like the new framework. However, I don't feel that my skills as a teacher are developed, taking a fair bit of time out of the classroom and the stress of preparing a course make it worth doing all of this for free. I know it shouldn't all be about money, but I do feel that if the County want to recognise the services and skills of these teachers, we should be paid.
  3. The work involved in amalgamating the infant and junior schools is far more important next year.

That's my rant over. Just wanted to get it off my chest!

No comments: