Thursday 15 March 2007

NPQH


After school today I went on an information briefing about beginning the NPQH course. The next round of applications begins on April 10th and ends on May 4th.
I am in complete confusion about whether I should apply for this course or not. I feel it would help me with my duties as Deputy Head (or Assistant Head or whatever title I might be given after the amalgamation!) However, at the same time I'm not sure whether it is the right move to take at this stage in my career. And above all - how much extra work will it involve?!
If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi James,

I was advised when I went on the course that the way to go was Leading from the Middle, Learning (leading?) Pathways and then the NPQH.

If you can get straight onto the NPQH then go for it though. I haven't done it yet - went to the introduction meeting but didn't feel that I wanted to do it yet - it IS a lot of work, but I guess if you've got plans to be a head then you've got to do it sometime.

It's also a lot easier if you are in a deputy / assistant heads role as you have access to everything that you need rather than having to ask for it all the time.

By the way what exactly is the difference between assistants head and deputy?

James B said...

You know, I haven't got a clue about the difference between Assistant and Deputy Heads (apart from the salaray)! Can anyone explain the difference?