Thursday 1 March 2007

Least favourite lesson to teach

Thank you to everyone who voted in February's poll. Here are the official least favourite subjects to teach for Year Six Teacher readers:

  1. Music 35.7% As a pianist you would expect me to enjoy teaching Music. However, I loathe it. It's just an hour's worth of noise - music is not the word I would use. I was so glad when the Music teaching was taken over by a PPA teacher in 2005.
  2. Geography and RE 21.4% I actually quite enjoy teaching RE as we fit in some Art, Poetry, D&T, ICT and other cross-curricular links. I'm not too keen on Geography. I'm not sure why as I find it quite interesting. It's possibly due to not having enough time in the day to really do the subject any justice.
  3. D&T, History and PE 14.3% I can't say I agree with this - I love teaching these three subjects!
  4. English, ICT and Science 7.1% I enjoy teaching English, and ICT has become so much better no we have our new Multimedia Suite. However, I loathe teaching Science. It's such a crucial subject in Year Six, but I find it very difficult to get excited by it!
  5. Maths 0% I love teaching Maths and I'm delighted to hear that no one dislikes teaching it!!

The question is now - what can we do as Year Six Teachers to restore our faith in Music, Geography and RE teaching? Comments on the this are welcomed!

March's poll is to find out to what extent our time table gets taken away by revision for SATs.

No comments: